By: Ilona Salim
One of my favorite go-to Japanese chicken dishes. It is such a satisfying dish! As if chicken karaage wasn't delicious enough, this dish dresses our beloved karaage with creamy tarutaru (tartar) and tangy nanban sauce. I guarantee you this is a definite crowd favorite (also popular with kids too!) for a relatively easy dish!
Give it a try and let us know if you love it! :)
The Recipe - Chicken Nanban
serves 3 - 4
- 4 oz (112g) Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Eggs
- Oil, to fry
Tarutaru (Egg Tartar) Sauce
- 2 hard boiled egg
- 2 Tbsp Kewpie Mayo
- 1/2 stalk scallion, chopped
- 1/4 sweet onion, diced
- 1/8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of white pepper
-1 Tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
Chicken Nanban Soy Glaze
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
-3 Tbsp mirin
-2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 Tsp grated ginger
- optional splash of vinegar
1. Start by prepping the tartar sauce. Chop hard boiled eggs into small cubes.
2. Heat a pan with 1/8 tbsp of unsalted butter and diced sweet onion. Let the onion cook until fragrant and soft.
3. Mix mayo, chopped scallion, sweet onion, lemon juice, mustard and eggs in a medium bowl.
4. Season with salt and white pepper. Mix well and set aside.
5. Next the Nanban glaze -- In a small saucepan, add soysauce, mirin, sugar and grated ginger. Heat over low heat until sugar fully dissolves. Stir occasionally.
6. Once sugar dissolves, lift pan off the heat and set sauce aside. Let's move on to our chicken.
7. Lightly season boneless chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
8. Coat chicken thighs with all purpose flour.
9. Fill a pan with oil (about an inch in height) and heat up until about 250F.
10. Crack two eggs in a bowl and beat.
11. Dip coated chicken thighs in egg. Coat well with egg and then carefully transfer to pan to fry until golden brown. Fry for about 6 minutes, flipping a few times.
12. Once chicken is cooked, pat excess oil with paper towel.
13. Lastly, place chicken in nanban soy sauce and glaze evenly.
14. Serve with rice and tartar sauce!