By: Ilona Salim
A very popular Indonesian street snack and one of my personal favorite - bakwan jagung / Corn Fritters!
Growing up, this used to be my most requested dish. I would ask my grandma to make these for me as an after school snack or as a side dish for dinner. The sweetness of the corn marries too well with the seasoned batter for you to only have one! Sweet, savoury, umami -- the blend you need for the most addicting snack. This is a definitely crowd pleaser and the perfect dish to bring to a potluck with friends (or just to snack at home while you netflix and chill).
It’s a really simple side dish to whip up. I used @willgoz ‘s recipe and improvised a bit! Hope you give it a shot:)
The Recipe - Corn fritters
- 3 stalks of sweet corn
- chopped green onions
- chopped 1/2 a shallot
- chopped 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tsp chicken stock powder (bouillon)
- 350 grams All purpose flour
- 100 grams rice flour (I used corn starch because I ran out of rice flour - this could be why my texture is a bit different. Highly recommend rice flour if possible)
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 250 - 300 ml water (My batter was a bit on the thick side because I misread to add 200 ml LOL, so please add 250-300ml of water)
Salt and pepper to taste!
All you need to do is to mix it all in the bowl and fry the batter in hot oil:)